Board of Supervisors Meeting Minutes
Meeting Date: 1/8/2019
Meeting Location: Bert Harris Agricultural Center – Room 3
FINAL – Approved 2/19/2019
Recorded by: Susie Bishop
|Scott Kirouac||Chairman||Highlands Soil & Water||Y|
|Dr. John Causey||Vice-Chairman||Highlands Soil & Water||Y|
|Doug Deen||Secretary/Treasurer||Highlands Soil & Water||Y|
|Pamela Fentress||Supervisor||Highlands Soil & Water||Y|
|Steve Smith||Supervisor||Highlands Soil & Water||Y|
|Commissioner Jim Brooks||Liaison||Highlands Co. Board of County Commissioners||Y|
|Susie Bishop||Executive Director||Highlands Soil & Water||Y|
|Jacob Miller||MIL Manager||Highlands Soil & Water||N|
|Dakota McCullers||BMP Tech||Highlands Soil & Water||N|
|Earl Thomas||BMP Tech||Highlands Soil & Water||N|
|Carlos Torres||District Cons.||USDA-NRCS||N|
|Sierra Ayers||Soil Cons.||USDA-NRCS||N|
|Laurie Hurner||Extension CED||Highlands Co. Extension||N|
Meeting Scheduled Start: 3:00 P.m. Call to Order: @ 3:00 P.M.
Public Meeting Announcement Read by Chairman
I. Welcome & Introductions
II. Oath of Office
Clerk of Courts Robert Germaine conducted the Oath of Offices for re-elected Supervisors Kirouac & Fentress.
III. Election of Officers
Nominations were S. Kirouac for Chairman, J. Causey for Vice Chairman and D.Deen for Treasurer/Secretary (Fentress/Smith). Nominations closed and vote passed with unanimous approval.
IV. Approval of Agenda
Motion to approve agenda as presented. (Fentress/Causey). Unanimous approval.
V. Approval of Meeting Minutes
a. Board of Supervisors Meeting Minutes –December 18, 2018 – Motion made to approve minutes as presented (Smith/Causey). Unanimous approval.
VI. Financial Activity
a. Overview & Approval of Financial Reports – December 2018 – Bishop presented the December financial reports. The bank statements were not prepared by meeting time due to earlier meeting date this month. Bishop will email those out to Board once completed and add them to the February meeting packet. Motion to approve the financial reports as presented (Fentress/Causey). Unanimous approval. Bishop informed the Board Jeff Carlson will be at the February Board meeting to discuss the Fund Balance in the General Fund.
VII. Partner Agencies
a. NRCS – No Report
b. FDACS – K. Nickerson reported the CRISP projects are being completed in a timely manner. The department is remains in a state of unknowns waiting on the newly elected Commissioner of Ag to hire the new department director. Self-Verification letters will be mailed out this week and staff will be available to assist producers with completing theirs. Because several dairies have cancelled their cost share projects there are dollars available for projects.
c. MIL – Bishop reported all the work is completed for the last quarter and invoicing will be submitted tomorrow.
d. Extension – L. Hurner was not in attendance, no report.
e. HCBCC – J. Brooks – Commissioner Brooks reported on some new businesses in the County and an update on the parkway construction.
VIII. Old Business
IX. New Business
X. Executive Director’s Report:
– No updates on PSWCD potential meeting with the Ag Commissioner
– Youth Speech Contest – Bishop asked the Board to discuss and determine if HSWCD will continue holding the youth speech contest. Consensus was to not conduct the contest in 2019 due to lack of interest from students.
– Bishop shared details of a meeting she had with Central Florida Regional Planning Council. The Avon Park Air Force Range has been named 1 of 7 Sentinel Landscapes in the U.S. They asked HSWCD to assist them in acquiring additional easements around the range. Bishop said at this point in the discussion she would simply assist in arranging for them to meet with landowners but hopes it could develop into having a fiscal agent role.
– The website for the District is now required to be ADA compliant. Bishop is working with a local company to get a proposal to meet this requirement and should have a proposal to present to them at the February meeting.
– The annual meetings with each County Commissioner are now completed.
– Bishop expressed the appreciation from the staff for the year-end bonuses they received and thanked the Board for their support and assistance.
– Discussion about the Area 4 meeting took place with Bishop asking if they would prefer it to be held in conjunction with the Annual Meeting of AFCD. The opinion was to have as few as meetings as possible since they all have jobs and are volunteering their time to the District. Bishop will share their position with the state.
– Bishop explained a few citrus growers are converting their groves to bamboo farming and they are receiving cost share dollars for technology for their irrigation systems.
X. Supervisor Comments
S. Kirouac – Kirouac reported the success of the 2018 Ag Angels program. A total of $81,080.00 was collected to assist children in Highlands and Hardee Counties.
Fentress – No Comments
S. Smith – No Comments
J. Causey – Inquired about the mitigation inspection for City of AP. Bishop will be conducting that again with assistance from C. Torres.
D. Deen – No Comments
Meeting Adjourned at 4:15 p.m.